Re: access log format

From: Paul Phillips <paulp@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 13:59:55 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> It is easy to postprocess the logs (sed -e
> 's%http://www.backend.com/%/%' when the log is fed to your log
> analyzer)

It's not the same thing, though. One of the keys to an access_log
is that the request line is logged *exactly* as it came from the client.
That means I get the protocol version, and any query string args, and
anything else that a client might come up with for that first line.

I understand if most people don't need that information, but I do.

> And similary, many people running it as a accelerator does so for
> multiple servers (both IP and Host based) and thus want's the host
> name to appear in the logs.

This I can believe (my case is probably unusual in that I'm only
using squid to keep the number of apache children low.)

--
Paul Phillips      | Don't worry, I'm on top of the ball.
Stickler           |