squid and diald

From: Johannes Herlitz <jherlitz@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 1998 02:23:22 +0200

When running diald with -remote <IP_of_nameserver_of_my_ISP> everything
that's not in my intranet works fine, for example a "ping
pingme.at.somewhere.xyz" forces the modem to dial my ISP.

Now the problem is that diald also starts the modem connection to my ISP

when I do a WWW-request with my W95-netscape (another compter in my LAN)

that would not be necessary because squid has it in its cache (I notice
that it has it in its cache because I get the webpage when diald is not
running).

I can imagine 2 solutions for that problem:

1. I have to tell diald that it should wait for squid requesting for an
internet-connection which menas that it has to ignore any http-request
of the W95 machine (every request in my network) and accept the
http-request of squid running on
linux. How have I to set up my diald.conf-file in order to get the
wanted result ?

2. I deinstall diald and have to tell squid that it should
start a script when it needs a connection to my ISP, but I couldn't find
any option in squid.conf that is near to that...

squid version: 1.1.5, SuSE linux 4.4.1