Re: can't download ftp .gz files

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:24:50 +0200

At 07:15 PM 10/13/98 +0100, Francesc Guasch wrote:
>Jens Elkner wrote:

[...]
>> So finally this is stupid netscape behavior and not squids fault ...
>> BTW: Its also a netscape bug, that it uncompresses the file but does
>> not remove the appropriate extension like .Z or .gz - grrr :((
>>
>But disabling squid it works.
>I don't know about mime , but , why squid can't just output
>the mime header it receives ?

The thing is that with a normal FTP (via Netscape too) there are no mime-types
(that's just not in the protocol). Squid transforms it into HTTP where we can
tell the browser what it is. You could decide to modify the mime.conf so that
it in not interpreted as compressed by squid...

>--
>mailto:frankie@etsetb.upc.es http://www.etsetb.upc.es/~frankie
> o o _ ) Linux, Windows 95, and Windows NT
> Y (_, (__(Ssss (also known as the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm

"In a world without walls and borders, who needs windows and gates ??"