Same Proxy, two different networks

From: Cesar Brod <cesar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:57:55 -0200

Hello Squid-Users

We have just succesfully configured and brought up a Squid Proxy Server at our University site. Now we want to expand it a little bit and are experiencing some difficulties:

We have Internet connections to two different networks. One is only for the Universities in the state of Rio Grande do Sul (Brasil) where we have Squid running today and the other is the Embratel (Brazillian) Network.

Our internal users are routed to the Universities network and the external go to Embratel.

Today Squid caches for the first one(Universities). We would like to have a single cache for both Internet networks. So we added another NIC and started playing with squid.conf and the routing tables.

The way we think would be best is to have all users browsers configured to use the same proxy, and then route requests to the two different networks deppending on the user's IP. It means an internal user will get to the proxy, and if the page requestes is not cached the request will be directed to the Universities network. Likewise, an external user will have its browser configured to use the same proxy, but its requests will be routed to the Embratel network.

We are asking these questions after a lot of research and not finding any easy answer -- if there is such a thing -- and any new information is extremely welcome.

Feel free to e-mail me (cesar@univates.br) if you need further information.

Regards

Cesar Brod