Disk space management

From: Mohammed Hamed <mhamed@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:51:26 +0200

Hi,
I have a question that it seems i haven't yet found an answer.
I'm using squid 1.1.21 and i'm distributing the cache over two dirs, one is on a dedicated partition for the cache and the other is on the root partition.
I would like to know how Squid distributes load on both dirs, logic makes it important to fill the one with more hard disk space faster than the other and still keeps the total size of both dirs less than cache_swap.
Important also is how the high and low water marks apply to diskspace , is it per total space , i think it should be per directory otherwise one of them may fill while the other still has space (haven't verified this yet).
recently i have read that i can limit the space for each dir in the cache_dir tag, but i'm not sure if it works with 1.1.21 cuz it isn't mentioned in the sample squid.conf
hope u can point me out, my best regards