Re: More forwarding loops

From: Jens-s. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:00:39 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

]> Strangely enough I am seeing more forwarding loops (in the
]> logfile) than ever with the 2.0.2 squids. So far, there is
]> just one 1.1 squid left in the group.
]
]This is maybe caused by cache digests. Perhaps cache digests should be
]disabled until we get false hits working correctly.
]
]cache digests are disabled by using the cache_peer keywork no-digest
]
]Squid 2 currently defaults to use cache digests with a fallback on ICP.

Now, there are only 2.0.2 squids left. Digests are disabled (not compiled)
on any of those caches. But I will try and put the "no-digest" option
there in addition.

As I found out later (and wrote about), the forwarding loops hits with
documents which have the HTTP reply status "302 moved temporarily" or "304
moved permanently". The nuisance (it is not a problem, since the loops are
detected and broken, but latency is added) still occurs quite heavily.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726