HTTP Code 304 Question

From: RZ Dietmar Rahlfs <RAHLFS@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:29:14 +0100

Hello Squid Users,

Code 304 "Not modified" appears in combination with

TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH and DIRECT
TCP_IMS_HIT and NONE
ERR_CLIENT_ABORT and DIRECT
TCP_REFRESH_HIT and DIRECT

Does 304+DIRECT mean: Request from the Squid cache to the
original server, and NONE: No request to the original
server?

In which of the four cases does the Squid cache or the
original server deliver the object data (in none, RFC
2068 seems to say: no message body; but perhaps that
refers only to the Squid cache to original server
relation...?).

What means then "HIT"? I thought: fetched from the Squid
cache.

What is then TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH? I mean: the client (=browser?)
wants an up-to-date object, the squid server then requests
the original server which says: "The object is up-to-date", without
delivering the object data.
Now:
Who has the object data? The client? Then there is no need for Squid
to fetch the object from the cache --> no HIT.
So it seems that only if the client has the object data,
the combination 304 "Not modified" and TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH
("no-cache pragma") makes sense. Is this right?

The combination 304, TCP_REFRESH_HIT and DIRECT: Does it mean
that an up-to-date object was fetched from the Squid cache
after the Squid cache has asked the original server (DIRECT)
if the object data are up-to-date?

Thank you if answering,

Dietmar Rahlfs