Re: https servers acceleration

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 22:13:51 +0100

Alvin Starr wrote:

> There is also wrapssl. Both of these packages are setup to
> insert infront of a program that expects a network connection
> on stdin.

If such a beast exists (which I am sure it does) then building a
SSL->HTTP gateway is very simple. If you have access to the source
change the code to open a socket instead of using a pipe to a sub
process. If not then use netcat or socket as acting as a relay into your
HTTP server (or Squid accelerator).

> Squid would need to be patched to be able to invoke an "SSL" handler

I'd rather put this outside Squid, and have the SSL wrapper call Squid
using standard HTTP calls. It is much simpler. No constraints is put on
the SSL code, and no changes to adopt it to Squid is needed. The same
code can also be used to wrap any HTTP server in SSL, regardless if you
are running Squid infront of it or not.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker