Cache digests of partly-fetched objects?

From: John Sloan <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 10:29:52 +0000 (GMT)

A slightly disturbing entry in my access.log:

910128490.358 901992 193.149.91.70 TCP_MISS/200 2546614 GET
http://malldl.nai.com/v95i320r.exe - CACHE_DIGEST_HIT/haar.pipex.net
application/octet-stream

Why disturbing? Because the object in question is over 4Mb in size, which
is greater than the maximum object size for my cache mesh.

Do objects which are still being transfered make it into the cache digest
somehow?

The background for this is that I was investigating a complaint from one
of our dialup users that they had tried to download this file via our
cache several times, experiencing several pauses of over 60 seconds, and
only once finding the patience to allow the download to complete. That
time, they got a 2.6Mb file, which was incomplete.

Eventually they disabled the cache and went direct. After having the
connect drop halfway through the direct download, they tried again and it
started from where it left off. Is this Byte range serving of some
form? I've not come across it before. If it is, should Squid support
it?

Thanks for any help.

John