Re: Cache digests of partly-fetched objects?

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 07:04:56 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, John Sloan wrote:

> A slightly disturbing entry in my access.log:
>
> 910128490.358 901992 193.149.91.70 TCP_MISS/200 2546614 GET
> http://malldl.nai.com/v95i320r.exe - CACHE_DIGEST_HIT/haar.pipex.net
> application/octet-stream
>
> Why disturbing? Because the object in question is over 4Mb in size, which
> is greater than the maximum object size for my cache mesh.

Hmm.. I will try to check if we are digesting such entries. We should not.

> Do objects which are still being transfered make it into the cache digest
> somehow?

It depends on object headers and state. There is no reason why some [good]
objects cannot be digested while still in transfer, I guess. Also, because
of digest collisions, one can have a CACHE_DIGEST_HIT for an object that
was never digested in the first place.

Note that the fact that an object is placed into a digest can in no way
affect the correctness of the future hit transfer. If Squid cached a
partial object, it was a bug that should be fixed.

> The background for this is that I was investigating a complaint from one
> of our dialup users that they had tried to download this file via our
> cache several times, experiencing several pauses of over 60 seconds, and
> only once finding the patience to allow the download to complete. That
> time, they got a 2.6Mb file, which was incomplete.
>
> Eventually they disabled the cache and went direct. After having the
> connect drop halfway through the direct download, they tried again and it
> started from where it left off. Is this Byte range serving of some
> form? I've not come across it before. If it is, should Squid support
> it?

Squid does support resumed downloads. You will need to send us some
debugging information from cache.log so we can see what went wrong if
anything.

Thanks,

Alex.