why Squid 2 overruns cache size ?

From: Gary White <gwhite@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 20:40:22 -0600

Hi-
Upon changing from Squid 1.NOVM to Squid 2.0 PATCH 2, my
Squid installation ignores the size specification in squid.conf
which I had as
cache_dir /cache 3500 16 256
as I was hoping to have 3.5 GB or so be my cache size. (This is
on Solaris 2.5.1, with a 4 GB disk. All this worked fine with the previous
version. But, even though unlinkd seemed to be occasionally
deleting files, the total usage just kept going until the disk filled.
Changing from 3500 to 2500 didn't matter.

Any suggestions on what I might have done wrong, or what
to check? No doubt I've done something dumb somewhere.

Thanks!!
-Gary

Gary White ARCO Exploration & Production Technology
gwhite@arco.com 2300 W Plano Parkway
(972) 509-6554 Plano, Texas 75075