Re: Preserve cache

From: Charles Dale <chuckd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:32:36 +1100

> Any one tried to preserve the cache from the previous version into version
> 2.1?
>
> I have 16GB of cache, which I don't want to remove if I can move it to the
> newer version.
>
> The FAQ suggest to run both with sibbling. Unfortunately I do not have a
> spare server with 16GB on it.

Henrik has posted a few descriptions of how to do this previously -
check the archives. He did a script as well I believe. I just decided to
start again but it is doable, and you don't need any more disk space.
Basically you do something like this:

1. install Squid-2, configure with 16gigs of cache space, even if this
might already by used by Squid-1. Configure to use a different port to
Squid-1.

2. Configure Squid-2 with parent Squid-1, and enable PURGE requests on
Squid-1 (in squid.conf).

3. Create a list of all the URLs in Squid-1's cache (from the logs).

4. Recurse through this lists of URLs. For each URL:
        a. send a GET request to Squid-2 for that URL. Squid-2 will then
grab
the object from Squid-1 and store it in its cache.
        b. send a PURGE request to Squid-1 for that URL.

Eventually Squid-2 will have all the objects, and Squid-1 will be empty.

Note: I've probably got some things wrong here, but the general
principle of grabbing each object then deleting it holds true. Again,
check the archives for Henrik's posting and script.

FAQ maintainer note: This sounds like a good candidate for updating in
the FAQ.

Regards,
Chuck