Re: squid 1.15b OS/2 - dnsserver won't start

From: Doug Nazar <nazard@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:15:39 -0600

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:50:09 -0600 (CST), Timur Tabi wrote:

>Interest?!?!!?!? I'll name my first born after you, even if it's
>a girl! (she'll understand)

Sorry, for taking so long to get back to you but I'm just now starting
to recover from a cold or something. I've also got most of my stuff
packed up to move this Sunday.

>>I'm not sure if I want to merge the changes back into the mainstream
>>since it's mainly working around bugs in emx.
>
>I think it would be nice if you did - that would improve the change of
>version parity between Linux and OS/2.

After spending some time with the squid & emx code, I'm starting to
wonder if my time won't be better spent improving the emx library. Most
notably, sockets aren't inherited across exec*() calls.

One of the other main issues is that's you can't rename (or unlink)
open files. Unfortuanatly I'm having a little trouble following the
code paths for handling the file handle closing.

If I call file_close() and flags.write_daemon is set, then the close
will be delayed but I'm not sure what to call to force the close
properly. This is causing a race condition on startup & shutdown for
the cache logs (swap.state, swap.state.new, swap.state.clean,
swap.state.last-clean). Anybody?

Doug Nazar

Phone: (416) 708-1578
  Fax: (416) 708-8081