Re: Microsoft (need I say more).

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:31:02 +0100

Mark Rogers wrote:

> My problem is down to the age old "Connection Reset" problem. Can you tell
> me, where is squid up to with this problem.

It depends on which "Connection Reset" problem you are referring to.
Reported by the browser, or seen as as a Squid error message?

Squid has historically been as sensitive as most browsers is on Unix.
I.e.
if it sees a "Connection Reset" message when trying to contact the
origin
server then request failed. Windows browsers on the other hand retries
requests when seeing a "Connection Reset". I think this is addressed by
the current code.

> Last I heard was some people were trying the retry patch, how did this work
> out?

The retry patch is partially incorporated in Squid 2. Work is being
made on a more complete retry model including false hit recovery.

> >Hard to tell which screws up worst. IE or Netscape.. Both has major
> >flaws in some (or most) versions.
>
> Any big ones (cache specific) you would like to point out??

Not all are cache specific, but people notice them when using a Squid
as Squid may do things differently than the origin server, or the
browser behaves slightly different when using a proxy..

Netscape:
Persistent proxy connections and https requests.
FTP URL style.
Spaces in URLs.
Range requests in some versions / plugins.

IE:
Persistent proxy connections when not allowed by the proxy...
Possibly other connection / HTTP issues.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker