Re: HTTP Accelerator

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 00:25:03 +0100

John Golovich wrote:

> I have looked through the FAQ and User guides in relation to
> HTTP Acceleration. However it isnt very clear on what exactly
> needs to be done.

This is perhaps since none of the Squid developers run Squid as a
accelerator..

> I have the settings correctly set in my squid.conf file.
> I have a redirecting perl script written.

How much work that is required depends entirely on how "advanced" your
HTTP server is. If it is a single IP address with a single server (no
virtual domains) then not much is requred. You only have to set
httpd_accel_host to your backend host.

If you have multiple servers (either IP based or virtual) then things
get a bit more complicated. Please describe your requirements in more
detail and I'll try to guide you throught the possible configurations.

> However where do I put this script and where should I call it
> from in order for the rewriting to actually take place?

You can put the script anywhere as long as the user Squid runs as can
execute it. A good place is probably the squid bin directory.

redirect_program in squid.conf tells Squid which redirect program to
use. You must specify the full path to the program.

> I am also curious. Does the server simply cache the web page
> like any other site it proxies or is there a specific place you
> need to call for it like in the Novell Border Manager server?

Squid does not care. It caches the site(s) like any other site it
proxies. The only difference is a minor one in how it receives and
parses the request. All the processing of the request (once parsed) is
the same as when proxying.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker