Problem with squid 2.x proxying cgi page from IIS3 server

From: Clark, Damien <ClarkD@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:05:44 +1000

I have been doing some testing with squid to act as a proxy server for
our organisation. We are currently using MS Proxy as our cache, however
it seems to have problems when clients try to access a IIS webserver
that has cgi programs. When the client clicks on the guest button
(which loads the cgi program), it should load up a page allowing them to
enter details etc. However, after they click on the guest button, it
simply sits there, and does nothing. It doesn't time out, for as long
as I have waited for it; which is over 25mins. We are using Netscape
Navigator v4.05.

I tried using squid, but it was an older version 1.1.22, and it worked
fine, no problems. Then I tried using the latest version 2.1PATCH1, and
it does not work, with same symptoms as MS Proxy. We are using Red Hat
Linux 5.0 as the server platform for squid.

The request goes through a firewall, which is definately not the
problem, and it logs a request coming from the 2.1squid, but nothing is
coming back to the squid access.log file.

Can anyone tell me what might be the difference between 1.1.22, and
2.1PATCH1. I have even tried the first release of 2.0, and it still
doesn't work either, so it would appear that the problem has been
introduced with the newer 2.x versions.

If I can get the latest version of squid going, I would relish the
opportunity of turfing out MS Proxy.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Damien Clark