Re: AS number

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 08:38:19 +0100

At 01:21 PM 11/30/98 +0000, David J Woolley wrote:
>> Please, explain to me what are AS Numbers and how to use them. How
>> to define etc.
>>

>If you don't know what they are, you probably don't need them.
>
>They are autonomous system numbers and are basically the entities to
>which internet backbone routes point.

An anonymous system number can be assigned to an entity and identifies the
whole network. It is mainly used when you have multiple links to multiple
internet connected sites. Routing is based the AS and not only on routing
entry.

Large internet interconnection points also block routing updates which don't
belong to an AS. For you this is probably not really relevant. But an
organization like ours (we have our own AS) and ISP's can use this to allow
access to Squid from all networks in our AS.

Marc van Selm

>--
>David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
>BTS Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
>Wallington TQ 2887 6421
>England 51 21' 44" N, 00 09' 01" W (WGS 84)

Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm