Re: Squid caching problems

From: Chris Price <cprice@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:29:03 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Chris Price wrote:
>
> > I am having a problem with squid2patch2.0 wherein it's memory
> > usage jumped from a 3-4 month consistent average of ~28mb to a average
> > ~60mb over the past week, with *NO* changes to the squid.conf file
> > whatsoever.
> >
> > What could possibly have caused the memory usage to double within the
> > timespan of two days????
>
> So what did change? Squid version? ./configure settings? Users?

        I changed nothing (same squid, same squid.conf, etc.). According
to our load monitoring software (we are an ISP), the number of dialup
users using the proxy is unchanged.

> Do you notice any difference in performance? Any new messages in cache.log?
> Have you monitored any statistics (other than memory usage) before? Any
> changes?

        I have not looked closely at cache.log. I will do so today. I have
noticed a few 'Warning' messages about being low on FD's, but no obvious
Failure messages.

> Does the memory continue to grow? How fast does it reach stable state if
> you restart Squid?

        Memory usage seems stable at ~60mb. After a restart of squid, it
immediately starts using memory and cpu until the 60mb mark is reached,
then CPU usage goes to next to nothing (occasionally 2-3% of total) and
memory stays fairly stable.

        Thanks Alex..