Re: Proxying PHP Pages

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 14:42:59 +0100

Steve Judge wrote:

> We've blocked and are redirecting port 80 at our border cisco to
> a web page that tells them to turn their proxys on and how to do it.

Good. Then you are using standard proxying. In my opinion this is how
you should do if you want to force all users onto a proxy.

While transparent proxying may seem to work for some it has some major
drawbacks, the primary one being that it makes a big mess of TCP/IP, the
secondary one is that end users are not aware that there is a proxy in
between them and the origin site.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker