RE: Proxying PHP Pages

From: Steve Judge <sjudge@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:24:03 +1000

At 08:51 11-12-98 -0500, you wrote:
 You MIGHT be getting some backlash due to the fact that you
>are forcing clients (transparently) into your cache (are you?). There are
>MANY well-documented problems associated with this practice. If you are
>doing this, it might not be a bad idea to stop.

Yes, we are forcing clients to proxy,
We've blocked and are redirecting port 80 at our border cisco to a web page
that tells them to turn their proxys on and how to do it.

We were doing full transparent proxying, but during peak time the cpu on
the router started going through the roof (up to 80%) so we changed to the
method above which cuts down a lot on the redirects. Once they've had the
page come up a couple of times they soon turn their proxys on :-)

The reason for transparent/forcing proxying, the cost of bandwidth in
australia where we have to pay by the megabyte for incoming data, not pipe
size as other countries do.

Steve Judge
Managing Director
Globec Internet Services Pty Ltd