SSL handling with Squid 2

From: <rstagg@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:36:11 +0000

Greetings,

I know this one is in the FAQ. I've been over it a few times and I can't
get it to work for me.

My setup: there are several parents for my proxy. For conventional browsing
my proxy uses "parent-1", but needs to be able to be reconfigured quickly
to use "parent-2" in the event of the first machine failing. This is easily
achieved by having two "cache_peer" lines, with the appropriate one
commented out.

There is a third parent which is always present - "parent-ssl". This device
_only_ handles SSL traffic.

Under Squid-1, this was easy too - just a little SSL_proxy line in the
config file.

However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to replicate this setup
in Squid-2 using ACLs. If I define two cache_peer lines, one for "parent-1"
and one for "parent-ssl" how do I stop the cache from sending nornal
traffic to the SSL box? How do I force all SSL to that one device? And does
the fact that the non-SSL parent can change complicate things?

Any examples or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Stagg
CSC Computer Sciences