prefer_direct question

From: Patrick Mau <patrick@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 16:03:12 +0100 (CET)

Hallo list-members,

I'm using squid-2.2.DEVEL3 and have a small question about
prefer_direct. Because of our firewall setup I'm unable to fetch
directly from origin servers, but I still want to go direct to servers
inside our firewall.

I have something like this in my squid.conf:

acl local_servers dst 1.2.3.0/24
always_direct allow local_servers

When I set 'prefer_direct off', the above 'always_direct' will no
longer work. Everything is fine when I change it to 'on'.

It seems to me that 'always_direct' is completly ignored when
'prefer_direct' is not set.

Is it intentional that 'prefer_direct' changes the semantics of
'always_direct' and 'never_direct' ?

thanks,
Patrick