Re: Confused over FTP support via Squid

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 14:07:53 +0000

ITDCAA wrote:

> What sort of FTP support does Squid actually give, what I mean is does
> it actually uses ports 21 and 20 for the control and data between itself and
> the client (browser/ command line ftp), and on to the ftp server. How can this
> be when the host running squid may itself have a ftp server deamon running?

Its by no means impossible - there are programs like ftp-gw which do just
this. But squid doesn't....

> Or perhaps Squid is not actually doing FTP at all but just using the HTTP
> PUT and GET methods across the normal HTTP port (say 80 or 8080), to perform a
> FTP like ability (In which case command FTP will not be possible), so
> limiting FTP like access via a Web server.

Yes. FTP proxying for a browser is different from FTP proxying for a full
FTP client. It is part of the standards that a browser will just send
something like "GET ftp://ftp.ibm.com/ HTTP/1.0" to squid, and squid will
use its builtin FTP client to retrieve it from the remote FTP site.

If you need to proxy a full FTP client, then I suggest you look at something
like the TIS toolkit ftp-gw, and make sure you have a client that can use it
(not all graphical ones can, but command-line ones are generally okay).

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @