Re: Querystring vs. Squid Cacheserver

From: Steffen Ullrich <ccrlphr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 16:06:29 +0100

my 4 cents...
1) It definitly makes sense to specify Last-Modified and Expires from a
CGI-Script. Take something like freshmeat.net (I don't checked if they
use the headers). It would make sense to set Expires to smthg like 1 hour
and Last-Modified to the time when the database was last time modified. Then
the content could be cached from proxies which takes load from the
server and also shortens response times for the user. Same true for a
web view of a discussion list where a few times a day new articles come
in and you offer various views (subject/thread/subthread). It doesn't
make sense to recreate all possible views to a part of the list every
time a new article drop in. Instead create them on demand (and probably
cache the output locally too for a while) but tell the client about
Last-Modified.

2) To work around the problem with not caching '?' (and with the problem
that some users find URLs like this strange looking) I usually use
PATH_INFO and append the parameters to the script as a path (smthg like:
http://server/script/view-as-thread/msg004). If the request is a result
of the user filling out a form I sometimes redirect the user based on
the input to a better locking (cachable, but dynamically created) page.

3) Why do you think that http://server/script?A=10&B=4 has to be the
same as http://server/script?B=4&A=10 ?? Probably your script does it
this way but I know of any rule who enforces that behavior.

4) I think URL's with '?' in it should be cachable (but maybe set
Expires to 0 unless a Expires header is given). For contents which
should not be cached POST requests or a proberly defined Expires header
should be used