Re: Parent proxy only without icp query?

From: dave spaulding <dave@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 23:18:12 -0500

>>> - only go direct if the parent is dead
>> This mode of operation will be available in 2.2. Until then the closest
>> you can get is to mostly go by the parent, or always go by the parent
>> and fail when it is dead. As long as the parent is alive it should
>> however only go direct on "uncacheable" requests where it is of very
>> limited use to go by a parent (only adds latency).
>
>Except if you are doing "routing" with proxyes
>
>--

Okay, I really need to get this. I have RTFM (faq's...etc), I have poured
over the code, I have read this list till my eyes are sore but I still
don't get it: I desparately need to get my client computers to look to
squid (<-easy) and squid (hard ->) ONLY to look at 1 machine: my content
filter.

Client browsers are configured to look for "phil.mva.net" (208.243.100.15)
which is currently my filter for
     - web on 8080,
     - secure on 8443 and
     - ftp on 8021.

I need to configure squid (and DNS name him phil so that I don't need to
change a couplke of thousand boxes) and have him point at my existing
filter.

Can this be done? Is this the "routing" that you are speaking about?

I am currently running 1.2 (from redhat 5.2) but would upgrade if need be...

TIA

dave@mva.net

Merrimack Valley Access Network Web Design & Hosting
PO Box 1805 2 Washington Street Filtered Web Access
Haverhill, MA 01831 Email Services
Phone (978) 4690 MVA ISP/C Member office@mva.net
Fax (978) 373 4389 http://www.mva.net dave@mva.net