Re: Squid simulation tools PLEASE HELP IMPORTANT PLEASE!!

From: Michel Blanc <mblanc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:06:57 +0100

Amitabh Patnaik wrote:

> Hi I am a graduate student in Computer Science and am working on setting
> up a departmental proxy at my University. We are going to use squid as our
> software and I have other students who are interested in running tests so
> that we could maybe better the performance of squid.

> Q. Does anyone know where to get some simulation software that would
> simulate squid so that we can run various tests and compare different
> results to optimize squid.

Actually, it depends on what you want to simulate, and what you want to mesure.

-Saperlipopette! is cache simalation tool that can may be help you
(http://www-sor.inria.fr/projects/relais/saperli/index.html.en) if you already
have proxy traces
-Polygraph (http://polygraph.ircache.net/) is used to make proxy perf
benchmark. With it, you can vary hit rate, % cachable replies, server/client
delays, etc.. It will be used for the ircache bakeoff (bakeoff.ircache.net)
-Windsconsin proxy benchmark (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~cao/wpb1.0.html)
- Web cache simulator (http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~cao/webcache-simulator.html),
quite similar as Saperlipopette AFAIK

Actually, it is quite difficult to make assumptions on cache size, expiration
policy, etc.. if you do not know what the traffic is/will be in your
departement (i.e., if you do not have proxy traces already).
(But if anyuone has ideas about this, I am interested too.)

May be, if you plan on perf benchmarking your squid, you can use the same tests
as the bakeoff, you'll then have data to compare to.

Michel.