Re: proxy a web feed

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 23:50:45 +0100

Roger Mangraviti wrote:

> The accelerator mode is not what we are after.

I think it is. It fits your problem description below 100%.

> We would like to cache all web traffic that passes through our network.
> Without setting the clients to use the proxy. ie we would like to cache
> the return reply of the requested data.

This is acheived by using transparent proxying with caching. It will
cache the return reply, without requiring any client side configuration
to use the proxy.

If your goal is only caching and not providing this cached data to the
same set users, then it is theoretically possible to piggy-back on the
TCP streams to cache the information, but not if you also want clients
to get data from the cache if available. I do not know of any software
which implements anything like this, and frankly does not see the use of
it either. Transparent proxying with caching seems like a much more
viable option.

Note that it is theoretically possible to implement proxying transparent
both to end users and origin servers. It is not an strict requirement
that a proxy hides the end-users IP address or anything such. It is
merely an implementation and/or networking imposed requirement which can
be lifted in some situations.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker