Re: squid storage: stripes vs separate drives for cache dirs

From: John Sloan <johns@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 17:55:26 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> squid-list@vsu.ru wrote:
>
> > what is considered better if we have 2 (or 5, or 7) 4Gb fast wide scsi
> > hard disks: make a single stripe for squid cache, or put different
> > cache directories to each disk?
>
> My recommendation is one cache_dir on each drive. Squid does not benefit
> from striping, and having one large striped disk makes you loose all
> your cache if one drive should fail.
>
> --
> Henrik Nordstrom
> Spare time Squid hacker

To add a data point to this debate, I have two identical Solaris 7
machines with identical diskpacks on them. On one I have striped up the 6
disks and am using a logging filesystem using ODS. On the other I'm using
the logging filesystem now part of Solaris on each of the 6 disks mounted
as separate cache directories.

The performance difference between the two machines at their current
cache when you blow or add disk is probably as good a reason as another
for chosing multiple cachedirs.

John