Transparent, Proxy, and Auth

From: Gene Black <gblack@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:30:01 -0400

Is there a way to configure Squid for Transparent service on one port,
normal proxy service on a different port, and then only authenticate
users trying to use the normal proxy service?

Here's the goal: For my normal users, I just want to Transparently proxy
them so they don't even know squid is there. But I've got a special set
of users I need to authenticate - I'd like to filter port 80 on this
group, set them up to use a proxy server on some port other than 80, and
authenticate them using the proxy before they're allowed to utilize the
proxy.

Is it possible to do this using squid? Do I have to run two copies of
Squid to do it? If so, can both copies of Squid utilize the same cache
directories?

Thanks!

        Gene Black
        3rd Wave Technologies