Q: How can I 'reset' the username/password cache of the ncsa authenticator?

From: <Klaus-Peter.Neurohr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 09:46:23 +0100

Hello,

Question:
Is there any possibility to reset the username/password cache of the ncsa
authenticator apart from killing and restarting squid and/or ncsa_auth.

Intention:
Our Squid proxy is set up with ncsa authentication. We will write a
programm that changes our ncsa user/passwordfile depending on a userprofile
stored in a separate file. This file stores information when an user is
allowed to use the cache.
We just put a # in front of the username to disable him. This programm is
run by cron several times a day.
(we try to implemet this because, as far is I know, ncsa usernames can't be
used in Squid acl's in the squid.conf file)

Problem:
If the user has connected to the proxy before our programm runs, he can
stay connected, although he is not allowed anymore. So far I didn't find a
solution to force a reauthentication after a change to the ncsa
passwordfile. Also the tags client_lifetime (seems to be for crashed
clients only) and authenticate_ttl in squid.conf did not work for me.

Simple example:
userprofile file
#UID, weekend, afterwork;
MuellerK, n, n;
BeckerH, y, y;

If our programm runs on a saturday it will modify the ncsa passwordfile as
follows.

#MuellerK:lWku76H3weJ
BeckerH:J89klj6gz5FR

-> User MuellerK can't connect to the proxy anymore.

I would highly appreciate your help.

Best regards
Klaus-Peter