Re: Outlook and HTTP-mail server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 20:50:26 +0200

Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> Perhaps this is a bit of a dumb question (I'm learning about squid; by no
> means an expert!) but could Squid be set up with an ACL for a function
> which uses CONNECT and goes DIRECT to the remote web site, just like a
> secure port connect but a bit more customisable? This could then allow the
> client using OE5 to tunnel through Squid and receive the data straight from
> the remote web server...

The problem is at a more basic level in the code.

These HTTP extensions will work on any https (SSL) server, since then
the requests are tunelled using the CONNECT method. Browsers only uses
CONNECT on SSL connections, not plain unencrypted http.

Recoding Squid to accept HTTP extensions is not impossible, but it
requires a bit of programming with changes to many of Squids source
files, and may also involve a change in cache key format (which affects
existing caches and digest peerings).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker