Re: ftp://user:password@xxx behavior?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 02:08:45 +0200

Bernardo Lam wrote:

> The normal URL as generated from the application looks like:
>
> ftp://user:password@host
>
> But the links as displayed on the browser look like:
>
> ftp://user@host/file.xxx

This was done as a security measure when others didn't like the password
to show up in plain text. It is a noticeable problem when you request
FTP directories without having a trailing /. As long as directory URLs
always end in a / (including the initial "home" URL) then there is no
problem.

I think I have a patch somewhere to revert this to use password links
when the original URL contained a password. Nope, that was for Squid
1.1.X. Squid 2.X version now produced and available from my Squid page
<http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/> (this patch also fixes some possible
URL encoding issues wich filenames on odd operating systems...)

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker