ftp://user:password@xxx behavior?

From: Bernardo Lam <blam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 12:31:52 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

I had a user reporting a problem with ftp. They had to FTP a file from an
external host through a Squid proxy, the URL is generated dynamically from
an application.

The normal URL as generated from the application looks like:

    ftp://user:password@host

But the links as displayed on the browser look like:

    ftp://user@host/file.xxx

Note that the ":password" is gone...

Without going though Squid (and this is what the people who wrote the
application expect), the links appear as:

    ftp://user:password@/file.xxx

If I change the URL (going through Squid) to:

    ftp://user:password@host/ <-- Please note the "/"

then, the links look as if going directly bypassing Squid:

    ftp://user:password@file.xxx

Is this a "normal" behavior or a bug?

I tried different versions of Squid (up to the latest 2.2 Stable2) and the
results were the same.

Thanks,

Bernardo Lam

PS. It is difficult to duplicate this behavior manually. Browsers (at
least mine) appends a "/" at the end. I had to use a WWW server with a
redirection to an FTP address without the trailing "/"