Re: Connection reset by peer

From: Vesselin Atanasov <vesselin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 14:35:10 +0000 (UTC)

Hello.
I had similar problems with ftp servers that claim to support PASV mode,
while they don't. Squid seems to try PASV mode first. The server says that
PASV mode is supported, but actually does not open a listening socket on
his side after the PORT. So when Squid tries to connect it gets a
"connection refused" error. It can very easily drive you crazy, when you
try to connect via proxy to some ftp server and get connection refused
error page and at the same time successfully connect with a usual ftp
client. Same effect happens when the ftp admin has set a very strict
firewall and denies incoming packets TO the ftp server, but firewall for
outgoing packets is not that strict - non-passive transfers succeed and
passive are refused or time out. Since squid always tries PASV mode first
the user that tries to do ftp via squid can't do much. So in your case you
might want to check if you can do PASV mode transfers to/from that ftp
server with a normal ftp client.

If someone developing Squid reads this : It would be nice if squid had an
option selecting which transfer mode to try fist. I don't wan't to hack
the source of each squid version to make it try normal mode first.

vesselin atanasov