Re: Trouble of Squid2.1PATCH2

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 15:26:29 +0100

> still uknown reason). 'df' doesn't report this problem, I mean, it doesn't
> count 'core' files when calculating the disk space. Only 'du' does that. I

You can generally rely on df to give an accurate figure and core
files are not special in any way that could not be true of files
created by more manual means (df uses the figures used by the file
system to decide whether there is any free space). du should also
give an accurate figure but, on some systems, it may not compensate
properly for sparse files (ones with an end of file address which is
larger than the number of blocks allocated). You can easily create
sparse files with the seek= option in dd, to test this out.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>