Network throughput

From: Julian Richardson <JRichardson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:58:20 +0100

Hi,

is there a way of finding out how much network traffic a Squid server is
generating (Squid 2.2.Stable3, Redhat 5.2, Kernel 2.2.9)? I'm trying to
find out where (if at all) any bottlenecks in performance lie. Getting
results from /proc/net/dev doesn't make any sense - adding the received
and sent byte totals together and dividing over the total uptime of the
machine gives a better throughput than the theoretical max for the
network card, so that doesn't help me (I guess those byte totals must
include local machine access via the card itself or something??)

Also, does anyone know of any web sites that have Squid performance info
on them? I'm not after any specifics as such, just general pointers to
waht things might be worth tweaking for a given rough hardware
configuration, number of hits, or whatever...

cheers

Jules