Re: Squid inists on ASCII for FTP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:53:30 +0000

Andre-John Mas wrote:

> I am having a problem downloading files through the Squid Proxy at our
> site. I say, with wget or IE on NT 4, ftp://asite.com/thefile;type=i
> and it gives me [text/plain]

If you use ;type=i and receive text/plain from Sqiud, then there is a
problem somewhere. ;type=i is supposed to force binary transfer with
content type application/octet-stream, regardless of any file extension
mappings. This is verified to function on my copy of Squid at least.

Are you sure ;type=i is forwarded to Squid? It seems that wget
unconditionally strips any ;type=X arguments from FTP urls even when
using a proxy. Maybe IE is equally brain damaged. See you access.log.

> or ftp://asite.com/thefile;type=a as the file. How on earth do I
> configure squid so that it defaults to binary for unknown file
> types and actually listen to what is being asked of it?

For mapping of file types (extensions) to transfer mode and content
type, see squid/etc/mime.conf. The last line (pattern ".") is the
default type.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker