HTTP Accelerator algorithm

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 11:00:06 -0700

Can someone explain the HTTP Accelerator mode algorithm to me? I assumed
that Squid would only request files from the origin server intermittently,
but it appears to be requesting the same files constantly. We do not use
Expires headers on the origin, so that's not forcing squid to reload.

Fortunately the machine being accelerated is on a 100Mbit switched network
with the Squid server, but I had wanted to put some Squid boxes overseas to
accelerate content for our International licensees. If it has to make a
transatlantic request for every object I don't really see the advantage.

Jon Drukman
Director Of Technology
GameSpot