Re: HTTP Accelerator algorithm

From: Scott Hess <scott@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:48:05 -0700

The notion of the accelerator is that Squid can often server pages directly
from memory, and failing that, it doesn't have all sorts of authentication
and checking overhead, as you'd have with Apache (especially if you haven't
spent time tuning things like symlink handling and the like). Even on
dynamic sites, this can be very useful for things like static images or
downloads - in fact, in such cases it can be _especially_ useful, because
the dynamic html generation generally requires a fairly heavyweight server,
which can be wasted if it's also required to serve static content.

Of course, this only works if items can get into the cache. If items never
get into the cache, you'll see a net slowdown, because you've added extra
processing in the middle. If you aren't telling the accelerator how to
cache things using Expires headers, it's very likely that it's not caching
anything.

Our heavily dynamic Apache-based servers use:

ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 4 hours"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 4 hours"
ExpiresByType application/octet-stream "access plus 4 hours"

Our Squid http accelerator serves in excess of 50% of the requests out of
cache.

Later,
scott