Re: Problems with transparent proxy

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 13:20:27 -1000 (HST)

Hugo A. Uriona writes:
> I'm running Squid 2.2 stable 4 on RH 5.2 using transparent proxying w/ a
> Cisco router.
> When a client tries to access a web page on a virtual web server the Squid
> server would return the home page of a different virtual server hosted on
> the same machine, or an error message like "File not found."
> However, after some time - I guess the cache entry expires - one would get
> the right page.
> I was running 2.1 before with the same symptoms.
> I'd really appreciate your help.

  It sounds like you might need to change the configuration file to
include:

        httpd_accel_uses_host_header on

  This *is* a requirement for using transparent proxy, for reasons like
this, though in the FAQ the examples can make it sound like it's only
needed for certain OSes. (The advice I was given is to always read all
the comments in the squid.conf file, as that is the only authoritative
reference.)

> Hugo Uriona
>
> PS. I've read the FAQ and searched the archive and I've only found the same
> question :)

  I've turned in a few proposed revisions to the introduction of FAQ
section 17, to make this point a bit clearer.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.