Questions about digests and ICP

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:12:15 +1000

Hello,

I have a couple of questions about the use of ICP and digests.

Consider a scenario such as this:

    Proxy1 <--------> Proxy2 <-------> Proxy 3 <------> [Proxy 4]
etc etc

                            me

Proxy 1, 2 and 3 are on a LAN and use digests (no ICP) to communicate with
each other. They are all siblings to each other. Me is obviously me, over
a slow/dialup link.

Now my first question:

(1) I can use ICP to talk to proxy 1, 2 or 3, even though they are
compiled (and do in fact) use digests. Correct?

(2) Now, assuming I can do this, I may not want to use digests on my
Squid, but ICP instead, and to only one of the three proxies (1/3 the ICP
queries as opposed to talking directly to all three). If I talk ICP to
Proxy 2 and I issue a query to Proxy 2, it may or may not have a copy of
the URL which I request. My second question is, if Proxy 3 has a copy,
will Proxy 2 get that copy, and forward it onto me [it should, right?], or
would it be best for me to talk to Proxy 3 directly in order to retrieve
the content?

How big are the digests on a typical cache of say, 15GB? Are we talking
100k, 1000k, 10000k? Would it be best if I enabled digests as well?

Reuben