Re: tcp_miss with linux-client but not with win32

From: Dennis Sjogren <dempa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:35:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Dennis Sjogren wrote:
> > ... And here we have the Linux-client browsing the same gif. Where did
> > that no-cache pragma come from!?
>
> You found your problem it seems. "Pragma: no-cache" denies Squid to use
> it's cache on the request.
>
> Browsers sends no-cache on reload and in some versions also when you
> select a bookmark. I do not know of any browsers (including most
> UNIX/Linux versions of Netscape) which sends it on every request.

I got curious 'bout the bookmark thing, so I investigated it a bit more.
First, I deleted the cache dir and created a new one using the -z flag.
Then I did some tests with log_mime_hdrs turned on. This is what I found:

Linux w/ Nav 4.6, Bookmark Pragma: no-cache
Linux w/ Nav 4.6, Typed URL -
Win98 w/ Nav 4.61, Bookmark -
Win98 w/ Nav 4.61, Typed URL -

So it seems like the Linux-version of Netscape Navigator sends a
no-cache request when a bookmark is used. For someone like me, who does
must of his surfing using bookmarks, this is not a good thing.

Why is the Linux-version of Netscape Navigator doing this, and not the
Windows version? Anyone?

I'll stop this rant now, since there's nothing that can be done in Squid
to resolve this.

/dempa

--
Dennis "Dempa" Sjogren - dempa@du.se - http://www.du.se/~dempa/
Unix & Network Services, Dalarna University College, Sweden