Re: Porn Lists (Maybe Off Topic)

From: Jon Kay <jkay@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:08:26 +0000

Allen Smith wrote:
> > > P.S. Given that nlanr is using government funds, a lawsuit to stop
> > > incorporating any block-useful features into squid would be quite
> > > possible...
> . . .
> I'm now considering approaching Peacefire (http://www.peacefire.org)
> and see if they'd like to approach the ACLU on this subject.

I hope you do not do this.

That would be most unkind to our ircache friends. Bringing in lawyers is
rarely a wise move unless there is a crystal clear benefit with a simple
remedy that will clearly be an improvement. Depending on how it plays out,
especially if agencies and/or defense lawyers panic, they could be
effectively shut down for months or years.

And consider: it is most unlikely this would accomplish anything - the
courts have repeatedly ruled that families and companies have the right
to decide for themselves what they cannot see. The view is that SurfWatch
does no harm when families choose to sign up with their service.

Mind you, I hate censorship like the devil - I had to leave the filtering
session at the Boulder Web Cache Workshop early because I got so steamed.

--
Jon Kay        pushcache.com                      jkay@pushcache.com
http://www.pushcache.com/                             (512) 420-9025