Re: Porn Lists (Maybe Off Topic)

From: Allen Smith <easmith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:07:54 -0400

I won't be posting further for a while - I'll be out of town.

On Jul 24, 5:52am, Jon Kay (possibly) wrote:
> > . . .
> > I'm now considering approaching Peacefire (http://www.peacefire.org)
> > and see if they'd like to approach the ACLU on this subject.
>
> I hope you do not do this.
>
> That would be most unkind to our ircache friends. Bringing in lawyers is
> rarely a wise move unless there is a crystal clear benefit with a simple
> remedy that will clearly be an improvement. Depending on how it plays out,
> especially if agencies and/or defense lawyers panic, they could be
> effectively shut down for months or years.

I'd certainly prefer not to come in with lawyers... the most effective
means of persuading me to do otherwise is to do what I'm requesting.

> And consider: it is most unlikely this would accomplish anything - the
> courts have repeatedly ruled that families and companies have the right
> to decide for themselves what they cannot see. The view is that SurfWatch
> does no harm when families choose to sign up with their service.

The legal questions are uncertain, yes; I'm not a lawyer, and one
purpose of going to Peacefire/ACLU is to find out from some whether
this is indeed constitutional. (Obviously, I hope it isn't.)

        -Allen

--
Allen Smith				easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu