Re: Porn Lists (Maybe Off Topic)

From: Tony Miller <cl00bie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:05:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Allen Smith wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2:07am, Tony Miller (possibly) wrote:

> > I plan to provide a service, which people voluntarily subscribe, to filter
> > sites which fit a certain criteria stated up front. This is not
> > censorship, it's property rights. The right to do with my equipment what
> > I will, the right to decide what will flow over my segment from the
> > internet.
>
> So long as this isn't enforced on anyone who doesn't have a choice in
> the matter (e.g., children), I fully agree, believe me. BTW, I don't
> count employees as not having a 'choice in the matter' - they can
> leave and choose another job.

I'm sorry. My children are under my control. They are using my
subscription, and until they are of the age of majority, and can enter
into legal contracts, they will be subject to the rules enforced on my
connection.

As will anyone's children who subscribes to my service. (Subject to the
rules of their individual households)

Now the filtering of content in public libraries is still a tricky issue
with me. But since there is a precedent of restriction of adult material
to "restricted rooms", I can see both filtered and non-filtered content
coexisting in public libraries.

> > (I hoped to stay out of this one. There are few greater first amendment
> > advocates than me).
>
> I'm a Libertarian. I advocate both free speech/press and propery
> rights, don't worry.

I'm registered Republican, but I have a real libertarian bent.

> -Allen

--Tony

--
cl00bie on SorceryNet IRC - /server irc.sorcery.net 9000
PGP Fingerprint: D735 A979 CF74 05D4 9866  871E 9D9F 3B88 F144 02EA