Re: Porn Lists (Maybe Off Topic)

From: David S. Madole <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:18:07 -0400

Allen Smith wrote:

> I'm now considering approaching Peacefire (http://www.peacefire.org)
> and see if they'd like to approach the ACLU on this subject.
>
> [ ... ]
>
> I'd certainly prefer not to come in with lawyers... the most effective
> means of persuading me to do otherwise is to do what I'm requesting.

Just what we don't need, a bully trying to get his way at the expense
of everyone who doesn't agree with him.

If you don't like the way Squid is being developed, why don't you stop
using it and unsubscribe from the list? If you want your opinions to
make a difference, then take the Squid source, remove any features
that disturb you, and begin your own distribution of an anti-censorship
friendly web proxy. If enough people feel the way you do, Squid will
die out from lack of interest.

That's what the freedom of open source and GPL is supposed to be about;
don't fight it, use it, and stop threatening to interfere with my
liberty!

I don't understand the issue with Squid anyway; suppression of freedom
of speech might be illegal, creating or using tools that _might_ be
capable of it isn't, just as murder is illegal but manufacturing or
owning guns generally isn't, even though they're a fine tool for murder.

Squid is not primarily a censorship tool, it's a possible side-use.
Please go bother NetNanny, or CyberSitter, or one of the programs that
has no other purpose but censorship.

Dave