Re: reload-into-ims not work with netscape

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben.farrelly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 12:23:45 +1000

It appears to me that there is another problem with Internet Explorer (5 at
least, not sure about 4) when dealing with it's cache on one URL that I am
aware of so far.

If I go to http://www.national.com.au/banking/ via a bookmark/favorite that
I have with the same URL, it fails, with some of the images on the page
coming up, but two of the main frames failing "404 - not found". This is
confirmed by looking in my squid access log. If I then do a refresh on the
page, it comes up fine, but will fail if I subsequently go via the favorite
again. I have IE set to check for a newer version "Every visit to the page".

If however I go to the URL by typing it in directly into the location bar,
it comes up first time without a problem, and no refresh is required.

The problem doesn't occur with Netscape...

Reuben

At Saturday 24/07/99 11:11 PM +0200, you wrote:
>I would say reload-into-ims works just fine with Netscape according to
>your logs (TCP_REFRESH_xxx), however the reload button in your IE does
>not as it doesn't instruct the cache to reload the object, it only
>checks if the cache has a newer object cached.
>
>The main difference seen when using reload-into-ims is that shift-reload
>in Netscape gets translated to a forced refresh (TCP_REFRESH_xxx) rather
>than a forced reload (TCP_MISS) in Squid.
>
>For many versions of IE is has no effect as IE does not tell the cache
>that the user wants to reload the page.. and subsequently the user has
>no means of getting fresh content short of disabling the proxy if the
>cached copy is stale.
>
>Be warned that reload-into-ims is a HTTP protocol violation, and may
>make it impossible to refresh some objects from servers behaving oddly
>(backdated objects with a modification date older than previously served
>objects, or If-Modified-Since not working properly).
>
>--
>Henrik Nordstrom
>Spare time Squid hacker
>

>squid@ns2.timenet.net wrote:
>
> > Use IE:
>
> > 2. press reload
> > 932822319.954 0 210.67.226.201 TCP_IMS_HIT/304 192 GET
> http://www.atsai.co.jp/soft/saga/99012901.jpg - NONE/- image/jpeg
>
> > Use Netscape:
> > 2. press reload
> > 932823535.955 1000 210.67.226.201 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304 343 GET
> http://www.atsai.co.jp/soft/saga/99012901.jpg - DIRECT/210.143.99.90 image/jpeg

Reuben Farrelly Sunbury, VIC 3429, Australia