proxy authentication

From: Jürgen Sandner <juergen.sandner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:42:18 +0200

We ran into a problem with netscape proxy server and would like to know, if
squid behaves different.

We have a www/ftp proxy running in our firewall, connecting some of our
people
with the internet.
The proxy asks for a user-id and password for authentication. This
authentication is done against a LDAP server. If I'm member of a special
group,
then I may get pages from the internet.

The problem:
Netscape won't ask me again for uid and password (good) but it asks the
LDAP-server for my group-memberships every time I want to get a new
html-page,
gif-image .... from the internet. This of course brings our ldap-server down
(bad).

My question:
will squid (e.g. squid 2.2STABLE4) do the same, or will it cache the
information:
"aah, john doe is member of the group internet, so let him get everything he
wants."

Juergen Sandner