Re: Proxy ok on localhost but not on clients.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:10:14 +0200

Fred Bennett wrote:

> I can Proxy from my server, but when I goto my client workstations I
> get Access Denied... Yes I have RTFM but it still does not help
> sorry.

You haven't properly configured squid.conf to give access to your
clients.

A Squid source default install is configured to deny everyone access
until configured. RedHat binary rpm install is configured to default tp
allowing only localhost access if I remember correctly.

Access is configured with http_access and acl directives in squid.conf.

Usually you do something like

#
# INSERT YOUR OWN RULE(S) HERE TO ALLOW ACCESS FROM YOUR CLIENTS
#
acl local_net src 192.168.1.0/24
http_access allow local_net
http_access deny all

where 192.168.1.0/24 is your local network(s) that should have access to
the proxy.

You need to run "squid -k reconfigure" or restart squid when you have
edited squid.conf to activate the changes.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker