RE: SQUID 2.2-STABLE3 and DOTLESS IP Addresses

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:15:07 +0200

James Porter (webmaster@aeonflux.net) wrote:
> Can squid 2.2-stable3 handle DOTLESS IP Address such as
>
> http://3626046468/ or http://3518332314/
>
> or http://3626046468/ab2/cybercards/moreinfo.html
>
> ?? It never can seem to resolve them. Yet I can traceroute to the
> dotless
> address just fine.

That's an old bug in the inet_aton() function traceroute and many
other programs use to convert the dotted-quad form of IP addresses
into the internal form: it accepts syntactically incorrect input
(like the dotless numbers you listed) and makes a valid IP address
from it. As this bug has security implications (there are programs
which assume that if a hostname doesn't contain a dot then it must
be in the local domain) you should be grateful that Squid does not
have it!

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)